This year, the Institute of Measurement and Control (InstMC) will be hosting the first ever national Festival of Measurement which will launch in September 2018 at the IMEKO World Congress in Belfast and will run until World Metrology day on 20th May 2019.
Scientists have finally found a way to define a kilogram using measurable universal constants, bringing it in line with the rest of the SI units and World Metrology day 2019 marks the last day that a physical artefact will be used to define the SI unit of the Kilogram. This a great step forward in terms of continued standardisation and global reproducibility of measurement. It is expected that in the lead up to World metrology Day 2019 there will be a greater than normal focus and discussion around the science of measurement in industry and the wider press.
There are various activities taking place over the course of the festival, including:
- Festival Launch at the XXII World Congress of the International Measurement Confederation (
- Ruler Project - A high quality accurate steel ruler to be sent to every secondary school in the UK along with educational resources on measurement.
- Royal Institution Public lecture series - A series of 3 to 6 evening lectures in the Royal Institution lecture theatre promoted by InstMC and RI.
- Industry Pledge - InstMC will create a “good measurement pledge” for industry. Companies that sign up to the pledge will be entitled to display a special InstMC/Festival of measurement logo to show they are committed to good measurement practice.
- Science Museum Activities - Ranging from hands on activities and aftifacts on show to a themed 'lates' night on 29th May.
- Student Measurement Competition - A free to enter competition for UK based university students to solve a measurement problem.
- Online resources - Videos, animations, recorded lectures, worksheets and infographics promoting measurement and measurement careers.
- App-Jam - Student developers gather for 24-48 hour one-off events where they compete to build an app based on a basic brief.
- InstMC Lecture Series - Public and industry lectures about measurement. Held at several venues throughout the Festival.
- Supporter events and activities - Organisations holding Festival of Measurement branded events between September 2018 and May 2019, all listed on the festival website.
More details on the festival can be found in the below document:InstMC Festival-Measurement.pdf
If you would like to talk about sponsoring the Festival or discuss other ways to be involved please get in touch by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
For updates please also follow the festival at https://twitter.com/MeasureFestival